Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Image result for friendship is like a seesaw

Today we focused on our problem solving with friends. Often at this age, students struggle to think of possible solutions to their every day problems. We began by reading the story Friendship is Like a Seesaw. We learned that some times we are up and our friends are down, or that our friends are up and we are down. Friendship is about a balance - for tomorrows conversation, please ask your child: how can you keep that balance so both friends are happy?Image result for friendship is like a seesaw

We then discussed some of our previous problems and how we have solved them. Perhaps a friend wasn't being kind to us, or we weren't being kind to a friend. We used the following frame to help us think of ways to FIX the problem.
Image result for friendship is like a seesaw

Each child wrote about their own time and how they fixed their problem. Here are some solutions they came up with - can you think of others? Tomorrow we will work together as a class and solve some more common problems in Grade 1.

"I said sorry."
"I asked them to stop"
"We sat down and talked"
"I said stop, think, make a good choice."
"I can play with someone else"
"I told my dad"
"I said no, stop"
"Say sorry and hug each other"
"Say, lets be friends again"
"I shared my stuffy"
"Talked to the teacher"
"Say, please don't do that"
"I tapped her on the shoulder and said you aren't listening to me"
"We gave ourselves alone time"
"Say you are hurting my feelings"
"I walked away and found someone else"
"I asked again!"
"Say, stop please."
"I went to play with someone else"


Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Today was our last day of school for the year! We celebrated by having a year-end assembly. Thank for all of the gifts and cards - you'...